I often speak about blogging at workshops that I hold and try to communicate the value of this platform to any business that has a website. "Do I need to blog?" is one of the most frequently asked questions, it's either that or when I mention the subject it usually causes instant groans and rolling of eyes.
I’m not sure why it elicits such a negative response so I wanted to put my spin on why it’s a valuable tool for increasing the content, and organic ranking of your website.
Blogs are the easiest way to add a flow of fresh content to your website and show that you are a thought leader in your zone of expertise. A well-written blog that is full of your personality and your professional take on an aspect of knowledge can help to build trust in you and your brand.
Blogs are also a fantastic way for any business owner to add a flow of fresh, related content to their website and this increases Google's appreciation of your website and its value to the online users.
Points to remember:
- Think of who you want to read your blog post – who are your usual clients?
- Work out the content based on the above audiences – give them content they will want to read
- Write from the “heart” – in other words, make the blog a communication from you – even if it’s about a product, you can still write this in your own words and give it your "take".
- A blog is a form of marketing – use the platform to grow your audience and attract new relevant audiences
- Choose brilliant images to go with the blog post to add a visual element
- The ideal length of a blog is 600 – 1,000 words – any less than that then Google won’t like it.
- Add keywords to the content (carefully and don’t stuff keywords into the content) and add a page specific Meta Description to your website blog pages so that these are indexed and appear in Google Search
Point to avoid:
Many business owners use the blog to regurgitate an article they have received, to promote an event, or to share their latest newsletter – however, this is not what a blog is for.
The purpose of any blog is to add pages of interest to your existing website and to write deeper views, facts, and ideas on an array of subjects relating to your business, your products, or your services.
This is the place where you can cover a vast range of information and not clutter the main website and its navigation.
Blogging is beneficial to SEO because it aids in a number of important search engine ranking factors. When you have a blog that is regularly updated with great blog posts on topics relevant to your audience, it can make a major difference in how your website performs in online searches.
So get blogging!